Wednesday, June 4, 2014

DIY: Gift Card Art!

I'm probably not alone in saying that Barnes & Noble gift cards are the way to my heart, right? Especially when they make special editions for new releases of books that I absolutely adore. Once I've used them up, though, I'm in a quandary: do I throw them out? Do I reload them somehow? Can I reload them somehow? They're so pretty, I can't just waste them!

Cue my mother's idea: why don't I make art with them?

(Wow, I talk about my mom a lot on this blog, don't I?)

Anyways, today I finally got motivated and framed my old giftcards, turning them into a cute, unique display.


Shhhh, just accept the fact that I still have an HSM poster up in my room.

Here are the steps if you'd like to make one of these for yourself!

  1. Locate all your old gift cards. (I realize that this might take a while.)
  2. Purchase a "float" frame from your local craft/grocery/etc store. (I got mine at Meijer for $5.99.) A float frame doesn't have matting in it, and it has two panes of glass rather than one pane and a cardboard backing. That gives you the cool suspended effect like you see in my photo.
  3. Arrange your cards on the back pane in whatever pattern you like. (I alternated my Twilight and HP cards to give it a vague semblance of order, but you do you, friend.)
  4. Grab some Scotch tape and make tiny loops on the back of your cards to hold them in place if your frame isn't tight enough to hold them in place by force alone. (Mine wasn't, as I found out the hard way. Learn from my mistakes!)
  5. Plop your back pane in behind your front pane and seal it up.
  6. Display with pride.
If you make one of these, I'd love to see it! Show me what you've got.




No comments:

Post a Comment